The Institute of Hydrodynamics of the CAS, v. v. i.
doc. RNDr. Martin Pivokonský, Ph.D.
Tel.: 233 109 068
The research is focused primarily on the optimization of water treatment processes aimed at the removal of problematic pollutants from water (algal organic matter – AOM; micropollutants – pesticides, halogenderivates, etc.) and on the description of reaction mechanisms. Our field of interest includes: coagulation (interactions of pollutants with hydrolytic product of coagulants; the influence of physical and chemical factors); formation, characterization and separation of aggregates (physical-chemical parameters, the impact of hydrodynamic forces, sedimentation, filtration); adsorption of micropollutants onto activated carbon (modelling of the processes, competitive adsorption); mechanisms of disinfection by-products (DBPs) formation. Additionally, we also perform advanced analysis of polluting substances present in water (the content and characterization of organic compounds, surface charge measurements, elemental analysis of liquid samples, concentration of micropollutants, etc.). Activities of the laboratory consist not only in the fundamental research but we are also capable of e. g. design or optimizations of water treatment technologies.
The recipients of our services are mainly water management companies (operators of drinking water and wastewater treatment plants), developers and manufacturers of devices for water treatment and also any other entities involved in the field of water pollution or treatment technologies.
With regard to our research, we can provide following services:
- laboratory analysis of water samples (the content of organic carbon – TOC, DOC and nitrogen – TN; spectrophotometric (ICP-OES, UV-VIS) and chromatographic (HPSEC/HPLC with DAD/RID/fluorescent detection; GC-ECD/MS) measurements)
- water treatment technology design (homogenizing mixing; aggregation mixing; separation processes – sedimentation, filtration, flotation, membrane processes; adsorption onto activated carbon) based on the raw water parameters
- optimization of processes at water treatment plants (pH conditions, the type and dose of coagulant, mixing time and intensity – jar tests; alteration of filtration cycles; set-up of adsorption unit)
- technological audits of drinking water treatment plants
- training and consultancy activity in the field of water treatment (training of the employees, project requests preparations, etc.)
- optimization of micropollutants (pesticides, cyanobacterial toxins) adsorption onto activated carbon
Jar test – Optimization of coagulation
Aggregate formed through the interaction between organic matter and Fe particles
Structure of granular activated carbon
Mixing in water treatment – measurement of velocity field